Re: Main mast foil play

The short answer is you will not see all of the damage. It is fairly easy to inspect. The damage in the following photo was below the collar and not visible.  Remove the top bolt on the collar and with a halyard raise the foil upwards until you can inspect the damage. You may have to ease the mainsail halyard. Let me know if you need anything else.
image.png

Amel has designed a repair kit for those who have trimmed the foil more than 2 times.
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 3:44 PM Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:
In installing our new mainsail, I noticed that there is some play (a small amount) in the foil connection to the furler. I've read all the posts regarding the process for cutting down the foil and drilling new holes but I'm wondering how urgent an issue this is given the small amount of play and the fact that the foil shows no signs of fracturing (yet). We like to stay ahead of problems, but I also don't want to overreact- it took 17 years for this small amount of play to emerge.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
Oahu