Re: Main mast foil play

Thomas,

I would not recommend the "epoxy idea." This is not normal "wear and tear."
It is caused by overloading the foil when furling and unfurling with the most
common reason for overload being caused by jammed battens. Your SM did not
come with battens. If you have them, you should remove them or risk this damage.

Good luck. I have more information on this. If you want it, email me at brouse@....

Craig, I have not seen a Santorin with this problem. I do not believe you need it on your maintenance list.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 7:55 PM Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:
Thanks Bill- as I compare your pic with the amount of play in my foil, I'm reluctantly aware that I'm engaging in "reality management"; my foil movement matches the pic. I'm certain my foil has never been cut, so the repair seems straightforward. There is a suggestion I've read that calls for filling the bottom of the cut foil with epoxy to strengthen it vs. the cut and drill method. Not sure how to evaluate the two approaches other than the fact that Amel didn't do that in building the boat.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422 SV L'ORIENT
Oahu