Re: "Apple is examining a chemistry for the car battery called LFP, or lithium iron phosphate, for its car", that will bring the cost down for all of us

Scott SV Tengah

Both Apple and Tesla are touting a next generation battery tech called LFP - not sure how they can claim this without the FTC intervening for false advertising. Lithium Iron Phosphate has been commercially available for almost 20 years and is what I and every other boat that has lithium is using.

One potential change is that I believe, but am not sure, that current LFP batteries (like my Victron) use 18650 cells packaged together in the box. They look like big AA batteries, so the cylinders have some dead space in between. I guess if you can design a more space efficient component, you can pack more energy into the same battery box. Maybe important on a car, but my battery compartment isn't even half full, so space is not an issue.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69