Re: Installing a holding tank Amel Maramu

Dennis Johns

Hello Sarah & Trevor,

I have a 35 gallon holding tank installed in the port/aft cockpit lazarette (pretty sure you'll need to get it custom made).  Here are a couple of hints:
1)  I have runs from the forward and aft heads done in PVC.  Using a few 22 degree fittings, it is not too difficult to make the runs and you will never need to replace the very expensive "sanitary" hose when the stink becomes too much.  While you are at it, I suggest you run PVC in the anti-siphon loop as well.  These two actions will keep your heads and saloon from becoming an embarrassment.
2)  If you can heel the boat over in a slip (mast halyard to a cleat), the thru hull can be installed just above the water line.
3)  Be sure to install the macerator at the level of the drain.  Don't make the macerator draw the waste up from the bottom of the tank as it will quit on you before its time and replacing it is not fun if you aren't near a clean out station (ask me how I know this).
4)  Don't be cheap on the deck clean out cap.  The plastic cap will be exposed to UV rays for long periods of time and eventually will degrade to the point where you have to break it to do a clean out.

Good Luck

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu #121

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 9:18 AM Sarah & Trevor McIlwaine <Ourbigboatyadventure@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

We're in the process of buying a 1985 Amel Maramu & were surprised to find there is no holding tank on it.

Has anyone installed one in a Maramu? Did you do it yourselves or get a professional?  We're looking at costs, in the water or (I'm presuming it needs to be done whilst out of the water for a through hull)?

Any information or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sarah & Trev
Sea Love, Hull 161