From: Richard Piller
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2009 5:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel] Heading South for the Winter

It's easy we tie it to a "u" bolt next to the wheel that is also used to clip in. If you don't have one, install an "I" bolt in the lazerett next to the wheel. It does not get to much load as you are about 50-60 deg off the wind.
Hey we use a hove to when it's time to stop for repairs or lunch or whatever or whenever we need to have the boat stop and be quite in the water...
The last time we hove to it was blowing 45-50 kts with 35 foot seas.. we laid there for two days rested and recovered from 3 days for foul weather and cold. What a treat.
Good luck
Richard and Joan on Challenge in Annapolis MD...

From: Kent Robertson <karkauai@yahoo. com>

To: amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com

Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 7:36 PM

Thanks a bunch John. That's what I needed to hear. All I have to do now is get my SSB working for weather faxes and communications, and get my nerve up enough to go to sea for 12 days. I'll probably have to get some professional crew since none of my friends are up for that kind of trip yet. I think I'll be OK with it if I have reliable weather info.

Where are you getting your shoulder worked on? I'm an anesthesiologist in North Carolina. Ask for an interscalene block and catheter for postop pain relief...it' ll make you pretty much pain free for 2-3 days after surgery. Only other advice on shoulder surgery is to do your PT religiously no matter what. Worst thing that can happen is to limit your movement enough that you get a frozen shoulder.

Good luck with that.

My phone number is 828 234 6819 (cell). I may give you a call in a week or two if I haven't made my mind up yet.

Thanks again,

Kent

Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 4:15 PM

Kent, I've done that trip many times over the last 35 years. Don't even think about going the gentlemens route. Its a real tough way to go. You will spend a lot of time waiting for weather, like months, And motoring most of the time into big seas. Bite the bullet,head to Bermuda to get your easting in, and then head for St, Martin's. You'l be there in 12 days. If you go to the Virgins first you will have a 80 mile bash to windward to get to St, Martin's, Better to pick up the Virgins on the way back. Also stop in the Bahamas on the way back, they are warm and beautiful in the springtime but are terrible in the winter. You should also consider the Caribbean 1500. They leave from Hampton Va, on the 2nd of Nov. Well organized with weather routing etc. I wouldn't leave the Chesapeake before the first week in Nov.{ think hurricane.} Going to Savannah is good because they don't get hurricanes, but you are going west when you want to go east. The Gentlemens

guide is a wonderful book, I have read it twice. He's a great writer. I'm going to the States for a shoulder opperation this week so will have plenty of time to talk while recovering. E-mail me your phone no. if you need any more help.symoondog@ hotmail.com John "moon Dog" sm248

To: amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com

From: karkauai@yahoo. com

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 14:27:36 +0000

Subject: [Amel] Heading South for the Winter

Hi, all,

I'm making plans for the trip South from the Chesapeake to the Caribbean and thought I'd ask for some advice. I've done a few 3-5 day offshore trips across the Gulf and up the coast, but haven't tackled the trip South yet. From what I've read a lot of people sail out to Bermuda, then South to avoid the upwind beat from the Bahamas down the chain, but I still don't have my SSB working (or have a good way to get weather that far offshore) I'm working on that, but haven't had much luck yet. I have a week in Oct that I could take her down to Savannah, then a month from mid Nov to mid Dec. I've ordered the book "A Gentleman's Guide to Passages South", but wanted some advice from folks who've been there and done that. Just how "bad" are the two approaches to getting to the BVI from the E Coast?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Kent

"Kristy" SM 243

http://www.bing. com/search? q=restaurants& form=MLOGEN& publ=WLHMTAG& crea=TEXT_ MLOGEN_Core_ tagline_local_ 1x1

Nessun virus nel messaggio in arrivo.

Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com

Versione: 8.5.375 / Database dei virus: 270.13.87/2356 - Data di rilascio: 09/09/09 06:53:00