Re: Replacing carpet

Patrick McAneny

Mike, Diane and I replaced our carpet about ten years ago,we went up the Airbase carpet mart in New Castle ,bought a short nap berber in beige ,used the old carpets as templates ,cut the new carpet maybe a 1/4" shorter all around ,allowing room for the binding of the edges. After cutting the pieces out we took them back and had them bind the edges. The new carpets fit as tight and as exacting as the original. We do not have foam backing ,I like the firm footing while underway ,if I had foam ,I would not want it very thick ,as it would not aid my balance on a rolling floor. The carpet still looks like new ,berber wears very well.
Our boat is in Haven Harbor north ,stopped by Haven Harbor south a few weeks ago ,but did not see your boat.
Stay Safe,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Jan 18, 2021 10:28 am
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Replacing carpet

We are looking to replace our carpet and prefer to have a foam back both for comfort and non-slip. Saw Mark’s post on Shaw Nuwave backed carpet but it appears that is no longer in production. Received samples from Boatcarpet.com and even their “Premium Textured 22 oz.” carpet which are not foam backed and seems of low quality. Kanga, in Georgia (USA), makes a polyurethane foam rubber backing which they say they attach to carpet by Shaw, Marquis, Mohawk, and Engineered Floors. So far I have not found any vendor in the US that has such a product. Will continue search, but has anyone recently found a replacement carpet recently that they like?
Mike Ondra
Aletes SM#240
Rock Hall, MD

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.