Re: Compass Replacement

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Thanks Matt.

Danny

On 19 January 2021 at 13:20 "Matt Salatino via groups.io" <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

In the US, mineral oil is sold in most hardware stores. We found it in La Rochelle France in a kitchen supply store. It is a thin, clear, inert oil. We also used it to fill the void in our through-the-hull depth sounder transducer, so we did not need to drill a hole in the hull for our depth sounder.
We also use it to season our cutting board.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

~~~ ⛵️~~~ Matt

On Jan 18, 2021, at 6:09 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS < simms@...> wrote:

Hi Matt. We have the problem too so your description is timely. You say mineral oil. Can ypu be more specific.

Regards

Danny sm 299 Ocean Pearl

On 19 January 2021 at 08:23 "Matt Salatino via groups.io" < helmsmatt@...> wrote:

We were able to service ours. (A YouTube exists for this)
Easy.
Remove the top cover. (The plastic buttons on the side act as the hinge for the cover and carefully snap out. If you lose one, Plastimo supplies these as spares, sometimes for free.)
Remove the compass from its mount. You don’t have to remove completely, just to tilt it forward a bit. Prop it so it stays upright. Light wiring didn’t need disconnecting.
The dome is plastic.
Drill a small hole at the top, still under where the cover is located. Make sure the hole is at the top center of the bubble (the reason for tilting the compass forward, to position the top of the bubble under the cover location). We carefully used a home made funnel to fill the air bubble with mineral oil. When full, clean the outside of the sphere very well.
We used clear  5 minute epoxy, a small dab, to cover the hole. Let it set up a bit, so it’s quite thick (so it doesn’t run into the hole). Let dry and reassemble. Bubble gone!
We sold the boat two years later. We keep up with the new owner and the bubble has not reappeared, another two years later.

On Jan 18, 2021, at 12:56 PM, Matt & Michelle Day < charlesmatthewday@...> wrote:

After 20+ years of service, the compass on Talia (SM#209) has developed an air bubble (astonishing service life by today's standards).  The compass is a Plastimo Olympic 135.

My intention was to remove the compass, replace the oil, and/or diaphragm.  However, after disassembly followed by a little web research it appears this model compass is not serviceable.

Anyone on the forum serviced or replaced this compass?  Replaced with the same Olympic 135, or other make/model?

Many thanks for your input.