Re: Check valve on Heat exchanger Raw Water Pipe?

Mark Erdos

Perhaps an owner modification to add a fresh water flush

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Doucette
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 7:11 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Check valve on Heat exchanger Raw Water Pipe?

Hi have a look a this- I am trying to identify what it is and why it is in place (it is corroded).  Ignore the relay wired thing- as it is just zip tied there.   I believe it to be a check valve put in place on the raw water hose from the impeller to the heat exchanger.  Later Model SMs with the Yanmar have this elevated (and shaky - makes me nervous some times)  heat exchanger.  In other photos i have found, I have yet to see this device on the hose- it is direct.   HOWEVER- it looks original, as it has the same cloth and glue method that AMEL used to secure all the other hoses.  Also there is a custom stainless steel mount holding it (very AMEL).  Does anyone else have this?  Was it added to some later model SMs by AMEL to address some nuance?  I would love to know-as it is getting nasty and needs replacement or bypassing. 

Chris
S/V Amarok SM 385 (2003)

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.