Re: Fw: Deck repairs for an SM ( and other Amels )

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Judy and Ian,

Eleuthera is SM007. Being a few years older than your vessel, it had exactly the same problems. However upon purchasing the boat some six years ago, we used a product called Captain Tolley’s creeping crack cure. Still a good solution many years later.

One caution; when you do the work ensure you follow the application instructions. Otherwise you’ll end up with some residue on the decks. Don’t ask...

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, Opua NZ

On 22 Jan 2021, at 07:59, ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

Hi Folks,

 Pen Azen is 20 years old and has about 65,000 miles unde her keel.  On the faux teak deck she has a number of hairline cracks, hard to see unless in sunlight and about 1-2 cm long. They are in random places, a few clustered around the point where you step off the deck into the cockpit on the starboard side.   They are not structural but should be filled as otherwise water can penetrate and damage the balsa.
 It's a tricky job to enlarge a crack sufficiently to fill it and the result will never look perfect.

 The chap who is going to do this for me asked Amel what fibre glass they had used originally but cannot get a reply.

 Has anyone carried out such repairs ? if so I would be interested to hear if they have any tips as to what they used and the finish that they managed to achieve.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada, Greece