Re: novice problem

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Matti. See the photos attached. The clamping system mirrors Amels main mast stay attachments. It is important to put the tibe over the mizzen boom for head room. There is no need at all to fix it to the mast. My bimini top  is secured by zips to the rail. If I remove the rear curtains I can zip on a mizzen boom tent. The sustem has served us well. Any of the side curtains can be rolled up or removed quickly and easily. The top extension s also quick and easy to remove if so desired. Then you can fold away the whole top Amel style and have it as open as ypu wish. So the system suits us well. We often sail with the windward curtain down and one or both the rear leaving air open to leeward. Mix and match according to conditions. Fully closed, snug as you could wish for.

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 23 January 2021 at 19:25 Matti Lohikoski <matti.lohikoski@...> wrote:

Hi Dan,
I would appreciate a lot for pictures that I could share with Nacho.
So much better when a proven structure can be used.
Best regards
Matti
Borador #398

On 22. Jan 2021, at 18.25, Dan Wilcox via groups.io <dwilcox123@...> wrote:

Hi Matti,

We live in Seattle, and sail year round.  Having the full enclosure is a huge improvement.  I had the U shaped contraption connected to the deck mentioned and I removed it.  I instead took the first bow from the dodger and repurposed it behind the mizzen, secured with a tab to the mizzen boom bolt, and then to the shrouds as in other pictures attached.  It is vastly superior.  This also lets you reposition the other bows to give more headroom, and the "eyebrows" that zipper open.

I can run down to the boat this afternoon if you would like some pictures.  I did research with the Amel group to come up with what I consider the best cold weather solution.

Thanks, Dan
Feierabend SM #86

On Friday, January 22, 2021, 05:46:53 AM PST, Craig Briggs via groups.io <sangaris@...> wrote:

Hi Matti,
Your Nacho clearly is not familiar with Amels - by all means, fasten the bimini frame to the shrouds and do not clutter it with vertical members going to the deck.
Look at the connection of your balooner "wishbone" stabilizing bar on the main mast shrouds for a model of how to do this. (Commercial clamps are also available.)

If you search the photos section for "Sangaris" you will find an album of how mine is done, with only four connections to the mizzen stays. (Or just click this link:  Sangaris Bimini.)
No connection needed to the Mizzen. Bullet-proof and clean.

I've done mine in "T"-Top style as I did not want full enclosure but (hopefully) Nacho can easily close yours in.

Btw, using the same 25mm tube as the rails will give you plenty of strength plus a complimentary appearance.
-- good luck with your project.
Craig - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL