Re: The maintenance fuel bladders

eric freedman

We have had a 200 liter fuel bladder made by nauta for many years. they made two types. The better one which we have has a nylon outer coating , brass connectors and hold down straps. We fill it and drain it with a pump through one 5/8 inch hose. When we are done with itn we hold it up so the drain is at the bottom , and the roll it up. Th tank stays in the port locker for 6 months at a time. when we fill it up again we add Howes fuel treatment to the fuel. We have never had a problem.

Fair Winds,

Eric

SM 376 Kimberlite

On January 24, 2021 at 8:51 AM "Courtney Gorman via groups.io" <Itsfun1@...> wrote:

14 days and 10 Jerry Cans should be more than plenty but I agree bladder should be fine.  If you’re really concerned fill it with 10 gallons and move shake and squish vigorously then dump you should be good to go
Cheers
Safe travels
Courtney
Trippin
54 #101

On Jan 24, 2021, at 1:50 AM, Matt Salatino via groups.io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

I’d have to guess cleaning would not be necessary. The problems emanate from moist air getting in the tank. I imagine your bladder isn’t vented, and flattens as it empties? If so, there isn’t a daily air exchange, so moisture should not condense inside, so nothing to feed the creepy crawlies that grow in fuel.
My 2¢....
~~⛵️~~~Matt Salatino, A50#27, Speed of Life

On Jan 23, 2021, at 10:30 PM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Many/most of us have a COVID related "change of plans" story, but ours included 28 days nonstop Panama to Nuku Hiva, 8 days in Nuku, then 14 days Nuku to Hawaii. We had been Caribbean based our first 9 years of cruising so the distances in the Pacific intimidated us enough to buy a 100 liter fuel bladder to supplement our 10 jerry cans. Of course we used about 20 pct of all this fuel - the first fuel used being from the bladder so I could get it off the cabin top behind the mizzen. That was 8 months ago. I got all the fuel out of it (I hope) and stored it nicely folded back in it's nifty plastic bag. I did nothing to clean it as I had no idea how to and other priorities emerged like finding a place which would take us.

I'm very cautious about fuel; straining everything first, Biobor, changing filters neurotically, etc.) I've read accounts on this site regarding various fuel goblins and problems of that nature and don't want these issues on L'ORIENT. Should I be worried about using this bladder for my return trip to FP from Hawaii (14 days); can/should it be cleaned ? If so, how ? I just have no experience using this a second time.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422
Oahu