Re: Climma Air Conditioning from shore power

Matt Salatino

One thing to keep in mind, US power is 120 volts, 60 hz, not 110.
Easy mistake to make.
Even our A50 with the US power option is labeled 110 volts.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Feb 2, 2021, at 6:48 PM, Thomas Peacock <peacock8491@...> wrote:

Being in the US, we have also had to occasionally run on a shore pedestal that puts out 30 amps at 110 volts. The transformer in the engine room then converts that to 220 volts, which, I have always assumed, yields only about 15 amps. Once that feeds into the 220 panel, I have, again, always assumed that the panel cannot tell what the original voltage was, it just sees 220 in a European wiring configuration. Obviously, the Hertz will be 60, whereas with the generator it is 50.
I’m not sure what wire your electrician disconnected, but I would be VERY reluctant to mess with the original Amel wiring.
That said, you cannot run both the AC units and the water heater on US (or Mexican) 30 amp 110 volts. There just isn’t enough juice. Check the watts on all your devices. 30 amps at 110 volts should only be able to give you about 3,300 watts.
By the breaker, do you mean the 32 amp breaker on the 220 volt box?
As always, I am not an electrician. Past results do not predict future returns. I’m sure others may add more expertise.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

On Feb 2, 2021, at 5:44 PM, Peter de Groot <pandmdegroot@...> wrote:

<B87D5313-A35F-4F7C-9F56-612E08B1201E.jpeg>

Greetings,
I’m hoping someone has run into this before, and can shed some light.  I have the feeling the answer is staring me right in the face and I just can’t see it.

For 3 years of owning la Querida SM#207 I’ve always run the heaters and Air Conditioning from generator power.  The marina where I was berthed only offered a 30A 120VAC circuit.  Now that we’re in Mexico, we’ve had occasion to run the water heater and Air Conditioning from shore power.  It has not gone well.  Upon plugging into shore power the breaker on the side of the 220VAC load center in the galley immediately tripped.  Mind you this is North American 220(230) VAC with two hot legs and no neutral.  Together with an electrician we found the offending circuit and disconnected the blue (normally neutral) wire and all circuits worked except the Climma air conditioning.  Restoring that connection A to B in the diagram above, the Air conditioning works being powered from the generator.  However the main breaker trips immediately when connected to shore power.  Power feed “1” comes off the main power distribution, no circuit separate circuit breaker.  Power feed “2” comes off the “Climma” individual breaker on the Amel Panel.

Measuring voltage from “B” to a brown junction point reads 125VAC.  From “B” to a blue wire junction point (normally neutral) also reads about 125 VAC.  “B” to ground is open.

The electrician did his work three ports ago (and we were sailing the next day) when our priority was to get the hot water heater to work without bothering the neighbors with generator noise and exhaust.  Now our priority is getting the air conditioning working from shore power.  We’re much further south and the cabin is a sauna most evenings.  The previous owner was on board for a week in Zihuatenejo and reiterated he was able to run all circuits (including the air conditioning) from shore power.  He also did his cruising in Mexico with 2 hot leg 230VAC power.

Any tips or similar past experience/solutions would be welcome.

Peter de Groot
la Querida, SM#207
now in Barra de Navidad
(just back from Ixtapa where the mosquitoes forced us to close the hatches making the problem worse)

--
Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes