Re: Climma Air Conditioning from shore power

Ryan Meador

Hi Peter,

I concur with Bill -- you almost certainly have a ground fault.  The 32A breaker on the outside of the panel box is also a ground fault interrupter.  If it is tripping instantly, that indicates either a ground fault or massive overcurrent (a mild overcurrent would take time to trip).

For what it's worth, we've been running our air conditioning on USA shore power almost the whole time we've had the boat, as did the previous owner.  It's connected through a USA 50A plug as you described.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 10:09 AM Peter de Groot <pandmdegroot@...> wrote:
Hi Tom,
Yes, the circuit breaker that is tripping is the Amel unit on the outside of the 220VAC box housing the panel.

We do not have a transformer for the 110VAC circuit.  To get the 220VAC power from the shore pedestal, the previous owners adapted a North American 50A connector on the end of the Amel cable.  So we feed 2 hot legs with no neutral.

Peter,
La Querida, #207