Re: Propeller recommendation

Miles

Hi Alex,

I have been pleased with my Autoprop.  Because it sets the ideal pitch for any condition, it gives good mileage, and it is especially good when motor-sailing as it sets the pitch so that the engine has a good load at low RPMs.  The down side is that the blades must be kept perfectly clean.  A barnacle interrupts that flow over the blade and changes the pitch from the ideal pitch.

I once tried using the fixed prop on my boat while the Autoprop was being reconditioned.  In addition to fuel consumption, my sailing speed was reduced by about 1 knot.

Regards,

Miles

s/y Ladybug, sm 216 at berth at Le Marin, Martinique