Re: Bow thruster tube anomaly

eric freedman

If it is available to you a product called PB Blaster I believe is the strongest product to remove rusted assemblies.

I always drop the bow thruster a few inches every season and coat the motor spline, the bearing at the top of the spline and then use my pinky and then a q tip to fill the bow thruster receptacle. I use marine trailer wheel bearing grease for this.

I am not on Kimberlite today , however I was wondering if it is possible to use the long nozzle on the PB blaster can and enter the motor through the cooling slots in the side. Then pointing the nozzle as far down as possible load up the bottom of the motor with a bunch of PB Blaster. Hopefully it will go through the lower bearing and enter into the motor spline.

On another important subject.

Just as another preventative measure I remove the pin from the main outhaul twice annually and coat it with Never Seize. It comes out easily every time. It is not a bad idea to also remove a few thousands of an inch from the key on the outhaul shaft.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Germain Jean-Pierre
Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2021 7:32 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bow thruster tube anomaly

Hi Guys,

I have the oldest SM. HULL 007!

I had lots of difficulty removing the foot in 2015. I used lots of WD40 and repeated use of a heat gun. It came loose eventually and is now a cinch to detach as I coat the shaft with high temp silicone grease upon reassembly.  

PATIENCE, LOADS OF WD40 AND HEAT. 

Good luck

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007

Opua, NZ

On 7/02/2021, at 10:27 AM, Juan de Zulueta <jdezulue@...> wrote:

Amel provided me a piece of hard sand paper to avoid the tool to slide on the tube as you can see on the picture I sent before

Juan de Zulueta

+33680895892

sent from my Ipad.

Le 6 févr. 2021 à 17:08, Dave Ritten <daveritten@...> a écrit :

I have had a problem removing a pinch bolt on a motorcycle and was worried that the head of the bolt was getting rounded. One of the suggestions was to put coarse grinding paste on a hex point socket to increase the coefficient of friction. Apparently this works well in cases where a tool is slipping. Maybe worth a try?
--
Dave Ritten
Auckland
Prospective SM Owner

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.