Re: Tips appreciated: Major frustration trying to pull cable through Mizzen.

Mark Erdos

Hi Mark,

This is a project I am about to undertake. It has been on the list for a little while but rolling conditions have stifled my comfort level about going up the mast lately. That, and it’s been so darn hot. All other pieces of the new vhf systems are already in place. The new antennae cable is the final bit.

I was planning to securely attach the new cable to the old cable at the top of the mast and then pull it down. Thus, killing two birds with one stone. I am curious why you did not do this. Am I missing something?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark McGovern
Sent: Saturday, February 6, 2021 3:41 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Tips appreciated: Major frustration trying to pull cable through Mizzen.

For posterity, here are some close up pictures of the "bowtie" pieces of foam that are inside the mizzen mast.  They are pieces of cylindrical foam about 10.5 mm in diameter and 40mm long.  They are tied about every ~1.3 meters in the mouse line.  

Unfortunately for me, all four of the mouse lines in the mizzen mast were broken near the top of the mast.  Likely from age and UV damage.  I was able to use a my 50' fish tape to run new mouse lines. 

Also unfortunately for me, the main mast is 56+ feet tall and I only have a 50' fish tape.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.