Re: Bow thruster tube anomaly

Davi,

I know you probably know this, but a few owners applied force using the tool, and 3 days later the tube broke free.
Tool Method (I recommend):
• Purchase the tool from Amel.
• Remove 4 Allen Head bolts spray penetrating fluid inside holes and the joint. Let it sit 24 hours.
• Clamp the TOOL near the motor base with the 4 bolts facing downward around the tube, using some medium sandpaper between the too and the tube, increasing friction between the tool and tube.
Tighten each bolt ½ turn against the motor base (if this tightening is not done evenly, you will jam the tube into the motor base)
• Repeat above until it breaks free. It may take 2-3 days with constant pressure with the tightened 4 blots for it to break free

It sounds as though the lubricant you used at the joint has lubricated the shaft and tool. Try to use something to remove the lubricant from the shaft and tool, apply force using the tool, and vibration periodically using a drill-hammer (with a piece of steel rod rather than a drill bit) and checking for tightness of the tool. Assuming days to separation.

Patience.

A hammer drill, also known as a percussion drill or impact drill, is a power tool used chiefly for drilling in hard materials. ... The percussive mechanism provides a rapid succession of short hammer thrusts.
image.png

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 8:01 AM Davi Rozgonyi <davi.rozgonyi@...> wrote:
Hey there, if the shaft was heated that much and didn't separate, what was the solution?

I'm back to using the Amel tool for now. The sandpaper ring does not prevent it from slipping down despite cleaning of the shaft and tool. Other problem is any penetrant I squirt in drips straight out onto the tool. How much torque can I apply to the tool/tube? After damaging it I am leery of putting a pipe on the socket, but I have the tool as tight on as a typical Spanner can torque, held by a 180 lb person in anger.

Any thoughts on this: I have a hydraulic bottle jack. If I put some wood on the floor of the bowthruster locker (on top of the glass cofferdam box in which the foot retracts) and Jack gently up straight on the iron ring on the motor, I won't be touching the fibre shaft at all. Surely this could bust it loose more gently than banging the motor up and down, no? Or use this method to apply a bit more force than the slipping tool and then tap tap tap on the collar or shaft?