Re: Volvo D3 110 Sea Water Pump - Cover seal

Good point Scott,

Disclaimer: I have never disassembled the D3 Raw Water Pump, and I am relying on drawing from Volvo.

I decided to take a look at the sea water pump for the Volvo D3
I was surprised to find that there is not a typical spring loaded mechanical seal, but rather what Volvo calls a "Sealing Ring."
image.png

The Volvo TMD22 raw water pump has a "Sealing Ring" and a "Sealing Washer"
image.png
This is what a typical mechanical seal looks like:
image.png

The sea water pump in the Yanmar engines used by Amel incorporates a mechanical seal inside the pump
image.png

The sea water pump in the Onans used by Amel incorporates a mechanical seal inside the pump

image.png

All of the Calpeda Pumps, Dessalator Pumps, and All of the brands of the Amel installed freshwater pumps that I have seen incorporate a mechanical seal.

I guess I am predjudiced in my belief that a Mechanical Seal will last longer than a washer.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 11:37 PM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Stefan,

I'm sure you have, but have you confirmed that the leak is from the cover? If the pump seal itself is leaking (ours did at around 2200hrs), saltwater will show up on that drip shield and might look like it comes from the pump cover.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69