Re: Amel 54 masthead tricolour light

Matt Salatino

Several years ago, on our previous boat, we installed an OGM LED combo anchor/tricolor mast head light. OGM was supplying to the military, who subsequently put out a warning about LED navigation lights creating radio interference.
Whenever the anchor light came on (photocell controlled), we had to squelch the VHF radio, quite a bit. The LEDs made quite the racket on the VHF, significantly reducing its range.
We had this problem until we replaced it with  Signalmate unit. It was radio silent.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt Salatino A50#27, Speed of Life

On Feb 8, 2021, at 10:20 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

If there is any noticeable RFI caused by an LED, a snap on ferrite at each end of the power source should do the trick. If possible buy only LED’s with a FCC Part 18 compliance rating. It is worth noting a few year ago, ARRL published a white paper on RFI and bulbs. It was found “bulbs have generally not proven to be a significant source of RFI”

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us