Re: Amel 54 masthead tricolour light

Matt Salatino

Scott, you point out the single weakness of LED replacement bulbs:
The socket of the original fixture.
It’s great that you’re having good luck, but occasionally, for those not paying attention as you did, corrosion and wear can provoke a trip up the mast to “jiggle” the bulb. LED fixtures are hard wired, with no suspect connections......

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Feb 9, 2021, at 1:27 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

On A54 #69, I installed this replacement bulb:

https://store.marinebeam.com/indexed-bayonet-tri-color-led-bulb-for-aqua-signal-series-40/

Works like a charm and far brighter than the original LEDs. I did the test for noise, which involves turning your VHF on, with LED off, and adjusting squelch to the point where it eliminates background noise. Then I turn on the LED to see if noise shows up through the previously set squelch setting. If it does, the LED generates noise that the VHF can pick up. For this bulb, it did not. No other deleterious effects that I have noticed.

For the anchor light, I also installed this bulb:

https://store.marinebeam.com/dusk-to-dawn-automatic-photocell-led-anchor-light-bulb/

It's worked great for 2 years already. When we anchor, I just leave the 24v mooring light switch "on" and the light turns on/off automatically as advertised.

I would suggest bending the tabs a bit on the light fixture and adding some silicone grease. Our tabs were a bit "tired" and also had some very very light surface corrosion.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69