Re: Volvo D3 110 Sea Water Pump - Cover seal

Peter Forbes

Doug,

Good plan on drip guard in plywood - I’m away from Carango - can you give me dimensions so i can prepare one here before going on board.

Peter Forbes
Carango A54 #035
La Rochelle
00447836 209730
07836 209730

On 9 Feb 2021, at 19:30, Doug Smith via groups.io <dugsmith98@...> wrote:

My boat came with this piece of ¼ in plywood, and it is cable tied to the alternator positive cable.  You will notice the water stain on the wood from changing the impellor the first time and not catching all the water.

<image001.png>

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Patuxent River, MD USA

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Matt Salatino via groups.io" <helmsmatt@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 1:41 PM
To: <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Volvo D3 110 Sea Water Pump - Cover seal

Can a drip shield be fabricated to keep seawater off the alternator?

~~~⛵️~~~Matt Salatino A50#27, Speed of Life

On Feb 9, 2021, at 1:29 PM, Ralph Heilig <ralph.heilig@...> wrote:

Stefan,

I had a leaking D3 seawater pump. Unfortunately I discovered it too late. The seawater was already dropping on the Alternater and demaged the alternator (it's stupid from Volvo to position the alternator directly under the seawater pump!).

The cause was a worn shaft in the sea water pump. I had to replace both: seawaterpump and alternator! My mechanic suggestet not to do the shaft repair, but to install an new one.

So be carefull: If it's the shaft, it will ultimately ruin the alternater if not changed. The alternator was much more expensive than the pump...

Greeting from Vienna,
Ralph
A54, #144

<image001.png>