Re: Volvo D3 110 Sea Water Pump - Cover seal

Scott SV Tengah

Teun - do you have any photos of that setup? Which pump did they use?

I think it would be easier on the Onan since I believe it's constant RPM regardless of load, so presumably that means the original Sherwood water pump outputs at a fixed flow rate. Find an electric pump that outputs the same and you're set.

The D3, regardless of revision, has a belt driven water pump that will output more water at 2800rpm than 700rpm. Outputting the max all the time may have unintended consequences and of course outputting the minimum may lead to overheating or worse.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 7:49 PM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

FWIW:

Although not the water pump on my D3 110H but my A54 has an @ time of construction AMEL yard installed separate electric water pump for the ONAN genset and removed the impeller completely.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

In Storage on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

February 10, 2021 11:47:39

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Germain Jean-Pierre via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2021 09:34
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Volvo D3 110 Sea Water Pump - Cover seal

A friend owns a large trawler and he had identical problems with his water pump. He circumvented the problem by removing the drive belt and the internals of the unit and replaced it with an electric pump wired into the battery charge alternator. 

Surely, some of the smart owners here could design a system which will work on 54’s equipped with Volvo D30... 

A lateral thought ...

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007,  NZ. 

On 10 Feb 2021, at 21:31, ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

My little trick

We all agree it is daft that the 12v alternator is located directly below the raw water pump. It is a question of when not if it starts to leek as the lip seal eventually wears a groove in the shaft, but we are where we are.

The good news is that it will start to drip very slowly. So I stuff a clean rag below the pump and regularly inspect it for salt crystals. If the rag is dark in colour the salt shows up, otherwise one can taste it for salt. When the dripping starts the rag will absorb the water and dry from the heat of the engine before any damage is done. This is the moment to service or change the pump. If you ignore the drips then sure enough it will end up getting worse and damaging the alternator.  By the way, getting that alternator off is bloody business literally.

Nick locked down in the UK whilst

Amelia AML 54-019 is in Leros Gr.

On 9 Feb 2021, at 18:41, Matt Salatino via groups.io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

Can a drip shield be fabricated to keep seawater off the alternator?

~~~⛵️~~~Matt Salatino A50#27, Speed of Life

On Feb 9, 2021, at 1:29 PM, Ralph Heilig <ralph.heilig@...> wrote:

Stefan,

I had a leaking D3 seawater pump. Unfortunately I discovered it too late. The seawater was already dropping on the Alternater and demaged the alternator (it's stupid from Volvo to position the alternator directly under the seawater pump!).

The cause was a worn shaft in the sea water pump. I had to replace both: seawaterpump and alternator! My mechanic suggestet not to do the shaft repair, but to install an new one. 

So be carefull: If it's the shaft, it will ultimately ruin the alternater if not changed. The alternator was much more expensive than the pump...

Greeting from Vienna,
Ralph
A54, #144

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.