Re: Alternator charging a Lithium bank

Scott SV Tengah

Doug,

I don't know enough about it to opine as to whether it's a good idea but if it doesn't have any negative effects, better safe than sorry. Let us know what you decide to do.

I have a 450amp "Mega" fuse on each serial pair of Victron Lithiums. I have had them blow when a technician was working on the bow thruster and during this one test forget to shutoff the main switches. The fuses probably saved us from quite a bit more damage. I have heard that Amel did not add fuses because they were concerned that with the original spec lead batteries, high loads would cause such a significant voltage drop that the amperage would spike and potentially blow the fuse. I am certainly glad I have them!

As a side note, the blown fuses showed perfect continuity but would not pass any current! Made me scratch my head for a few hours.

--
ScottĀ
2007 A54 #69