Re: Bowrhruster gear pil or grease?

Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...>

Llike Paul, I used a mix as well.  I put some waterproof lithium grease on the gears then filled it with the proper amount of Gear Oil.

It is very important that the part of the shaft that touches the lip seal be as smooth as possible.  If there is a slight abrasive spot on the shaft it send the lip seal to an early grave.  If there is a nick in the shaft, like I had a few years ago, the oil will drain out within a few months.  If this happens to you, your gears will probably be OK, but the bearings will rust out.  When this happens, you won't notice anything until you try to 1) remove the lower end of the bow thruster and find it is completely rusted to the the motor, or 2) you try to use the bow thruster and it blows out everything.  I was lucky I found the problem when I did.  The bearing were just about frozen.  A few more months in the water and I would have had a $2000 to $3000 problem.  Lucky!

I take Aquarius out of the water every years, and when I do I remove the lower end of the bow thruster and check the fluid.   This is one of the reasons why I didn't put Copper Coat on Aquarius.  I plan to Take Aquarius out of the water every year to check the bottom carefully.

Most of you have seen it, but this video shows what it looks like when your seal quits sealing!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-xWzNfnWLw&t=466s

Ken Powers
Aquarius SM2K#262