Re: Foredeck dinghy cradle

Ian Townsend

We use the same tie-down arrangement. The only extra thing we do is to minimize lateral motion, we loop a line around the pontoons, back to the mast step through a block (or shackle) and up to the cleat on the mast. It works well for us.

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153

On Feb 20, 2021, at 1:09 PM, Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 05:11 AM, michael winand wrote:
Thanks Bill,  some photos would be appreciated. We have the same AB.
Michael Nebo sm251
In the category of "better late than never", here are pictures of the tie down scheme we are using for our AB 9.5 on the foredeck.  It seems secure, i can't move it throwing my weight against it. Like any "bottom-up" inflatable tie, the lines would need to be tightened if the temperature dropped and the tubes softened.  All the lines are secured with "trucker hitches" to make this easy.  Tying like this avoids the need to add tie down strong points to the deck.

Visibility is pretty good. When standing at the helm working close quarters, I can see the bow better with the dinghy here than I can see the stern with the dinghy on the aft deck. Sitting at the helm give a good view of the horizon. While sitting, there is a longer blind spot on the surface directly in front of the boat.

We are getting ready for our first passage with this arrangement, so we'll see.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA
<DSC_0019.jpg>