Re: Many Yanmar owners can eliminate the fuel filter with the warer sensing wiring.

I believe that all Yanmars installed in Amels originally had a water sensor in the fuel filter assembly. This sensor does two things. It eventually cuts off the supply of fuel to the injection pump and it lights up the Yanmar Panel Oil Lamp. The wiring to the sensor which is on the bottom nut of the fuel filter has a junction connection that should be unplugged when changing the fuel filter.

image.png

Changing the fuel filter with a water sensor:
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 3:32 AM Mark Pitt <mark_pitt@...> wrote:

Eric,

I have never had water in my fuel filter, perhaps as a result of my fuel polishing system, and would like to eliminate the wiring and sensor.  Don't I need a different setup under the filter?  Where would one get that?

Mark Pitt
Sabbatical III, SM#419, Rhode Island, USA
On 2/21/2021 3:42 AM, eric freedman wrote:

If you have a 4jh Yanmar engine and your instrument panel does not have a light to indicate you have water in the filter

you can eliminate the expensive filter, wiring,  and sensor. The only purpose of that sensor is to indicate you have water in the filter. I eliminated that setup from my new engine and added the one shown in the photo. It is so much easier to  change without the wiring.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376