Re: Lofrans Tigres Windlass gipsy

michael winand

I would order a new inner cone and the service kit.  If your keyway looks like the one in Bills photo you will have a difficult time getting it off the shaft.
The service kit has new screws for the access plate to be able to remove the shaft.  These should be replaced as the old ones can be challenging to remove.
Michael  Nebo sm251

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 at 10:15 am, CW Bill Rouse
<brouse@...> wrote:
The worst case, a machine shop can cut a new key slot 180 degrees from the current slot and you can get a new key. Likewise, a machine shop can enlarge keyways and make a key to size.

GREASE THE CONES.😀

If anyone does not believe the cone should be greased, read this from your Lofrans Manual:

image.png

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 5:51 PM David Kurtz via groups.io <Davidwkurtz=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks, guys.  Yeah, I looked at that photo in your book, Bill.  I should probably pull the gipsy off next time I'm on the boat just to see if I need to order some parts.  I guess I can see where if the key is distorted I may not be able to fully tighten the gipsy.
--
Dave Kurtz
SM2 #380

Detroit, Michigan