Re: Lofrans Tigres Windlass gipsy

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

HI David The key is the second line of defence for the gearbox of the anchor winch. The first is the cone clutch which slips if the winch is overloaded. If it is tightened too much and the operator is brutal the key will eventually fail and sheer off. This is the last line of defence for the gears. Anchor raising should be done in a manner that is sensitive to these facts.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 25 February 2021 at 12:51 "David Kurtz via groups.io" <Davidwkurtz@...> wrote:

Thanks, guys.  Yeah, I looked at that photo in your book, Bill.  I should probably pull the gipsy off next time I'm on the boat just to see if I need to order some parts.  I guess I can see where if the key is distorted I may not be able to fully tighten the gipsy.
--
Dave Kurtz
SM2 #380

Detroit, Michigan