Mango Refit?

CDG

Hello to all!

We are a couple looking for a sailboat to live aboard within some years and perhaps crosse some oceans. Obviously, we have on the radar the Amels, perhaps a Santorin (the SM are a bit of of ou budget).

Some days ago I found an old Mango for sale near home from 1980, and we visit it. The boat is in a better condition than we expected, the wood inside is in good condition, no leaks from the port-holes, some glued carpet in the floors, upholstery old fashioned but in good condition. The deck seems had be painted, the hard dogger is ok... One owner.

Seems as if this boat have with the same equipment from factory: engine is a Perkins, no genset. Old bow thruster type. No furling genoa or main sail, agged electronics... During visit the broker tell us that don't know the boat's history, and nothing about the maintenance, engine condition...(he don't found the engine keys)

The boat have osmosis, I don't know how serious it is. Perhaps I can have a very good discount on his low asking price.

Apart of the osmosis treatment, engine rebuild, and other specialized works, I can make many of the jobs myself.

So, I my main doubt now is if its a good idea to do the refit of this boat or to leave pass and go for a smaller Santorin around 100k €. One of my concern is that I like the easy management of sails on the newest Amels (Santorin) with his furling sails with electric engines, and I don't want to have to go to the mast to control halyards, reefs,..

What do you thing: the Mango is a model that deserve such refit? The furling main sail is a must? Things that I should check before buy?

Best regards