From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Craig Briggs via groups.io <sangaris@...>
Sent: 27 February 2021 12:59
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Source of double lipped seals in the EU

Hi Ian,
I was about to comment about your mechanic (unnecessarily) wanting to use double lip seals but then got to your last sentence where you said the originals were (appropriately) single lips. Doubles are really not called for (not that they will hurt anything). The 2nd lip does not perform any sealing function whatsoever - it is simply there to keep dirt and contaminants away from the 1st lip, which does all the work. They are appropriate in really dusty and dirty environments like, say, farm equipment.  Definitely unnecessary overkill on our boats. They are only useful to allow the mechanic to charge more.
Cheers,
SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL