Re: Does the faux teak prevent one From seeing damage before it is too late? #solution

Bill Kinney

Daniel,

Damage to the gelcoat is not what leads directly to damaged core.  Under the gelcoat is the actual structural layer of fiberglass reinforced resin laminate.  The kind of long term sun damage we see on older Amel "brown" decks is certainly unappealing, and causes other problems, but by itself is not going to lead to waterlogged core.  That comes from problems with hardware installation, or by an impact strong enough to actually crack the laminate.  In the later case, I think it is very unlikely to be missed by even a casual inspection.

After twenty-five years, our boat is coming to the point where the surface layer of gelcoat is showing enough UV damage that we are on the look-out for a repair that will be robust, attractive and long-lived enough to be worth doing, without being so pricey it pulls a year's expenses out of the cruising kitty!  We have yet to see a single option that checks all our boxes, although many have been good choices with good outcomes.  I am know a diligent search of this group's archives will find LOTS of examples and discussions.

A blue painted deck is not to my personnel taste, but works for others.  Once the deck needs work, it really depends on how bad it is. A bit of color fading can be covered with minor prep work.  If the existing gelcoat is cracking and chipping, nothing short of sanding it down to a solid substrate will keep things together.  I think what ever you end up putting on top of the repair is a matter of taste.  I am betting there are very few buyers of 40 year old Mangos who are just DYING to have faux teak decks, and that is the real reason they want an Amel.  Do a good job with any repair, and document it well, and you'll keep the value of your boat up.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA