Re: Self Insurance

Courtney Gorman

Just received cancellation of policy from my insurance company Broker said they are looking for another company to write the insurance with but at this point no guarantee sure would love to see a self insurance policy happen
Cheers ūü漬†
Courtney
svTrippin

On May 25, 2020, at 3:40 PM, COURTNEY GORMAN <itsfun1@...> wrote:

ÔĽŅMy Novimar policy was not renewed this year same agent
Cheers
Courtney
Trippin
54 #101

On May 25, 2020, at 1:04 PM, VLADIMIR SONSEV <sonsev52@...> wrote:

ÔĽŅ
I am interested in group insurance but not in self insurance.

Vladimir
SM 345 "Life is Good""

On Mon, May 18, 2020, 8:56 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
This is a rough outline of a self insurance or shared risk co-op, that I sent Kent and thought I would share with the group. It was prompted by the hassle I have had with obtaining insurance, the restrictions and expense.  Bill suggested self insuring and just buying liability insurance, however in the event of a total loss, it would be a big financial hit, that I could not afford. However, if I could share that risk with even ten others or better yet many more, it would soften the loss. When you consider how few Amel's have been lost outside of a hurricane zone, the risk seems very low, and yet we need to insure against such a great financial lose.

1. A  LLC. formed

2. An administrator and board to accept membership ,assess deposit amount , administer funds and assess claims.

3. A one time deposit could be a percentage of agreed fixed value, perhaps 2 or 2.5% ,eg. $200,000 boat would amount to a $5000 deposit into the fund

4. Coverage would be for total loss , fixed value minus say 10% deductible. Figuring most owners could absorb some loss ,and insurance companies have deductibles as well. Hurricane zones excluded.

5. Perhaps lightning strike coverage , perhaps coverage would be ,replace with new equipment ,minus a 30 % deductible.This would probably be the largest source of loss. May have a surcharge or higher deductible for Florida locations.

6. All funds would be in an interest bearing account,if you can find anyone paying interest.

7. Upon leaving the group , the owner would receive a 50% refund of his deposit assuming they had no claims.

8. Perhaps a .20% of fixed value annual fee to go to cost of administration .eg. $3000,000. boat x.20% = $600. annual fee

Assuming 200 owners/members at average boat value of $300,000 x 2.5 % = $7,500 deposit or $1,500,000.00 in funds.
a $300,000. loss of a boat would break down to a loss of $1,350. for each of the 200 members.

This could even work on a smaller scale . If ten owners shared responsibility for loss. $300,000 minus deductible of 10% ,would be $ 270,000.000 divided by ten owners or $27,000 per owner. Its all about spreading the risk.

I wonder why no group has formed a risk co-op as yet. Maybe because insurance used to be less restrictive and more reasonably priced .

Stay Safe,
Pat
SM 123
Shenanigans