Re: Galley sink drain

Dennis Johns

Hi Alan, I have a Maramu so I don't know if this suggestion applies.  Our aft head sink drains to the sea in a thru hull port amidships.  Don't know where the SM aft sink drains but you might want to check if you can "T" your galley drain (with the 'Y" valve as you propose) into that aft drain line.

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu 121

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 12:54 AM Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Hello Amelians,

This is actually an old topic, but I couldn't find any definitive answers.
For years we have been rinsing dishes and emptying coffee grounds in the cockpit to avoid fouling the grey water "tank", and I'm tired of that inconvenience.
Has anyone in the group installed a thru hull in a SM to drain the galley sink directly to the sea?
If so, where did you locate the thru hull, as it is almost impossible to have it on the centreline?
Did you have issues on stbd tack with water coming up through the drain?
Clearly any thru hull needs a valve to close it off, so that would solve that issue, but I also thought of having a 3 way valve so the drain could be diverted to the grey water tank when at sea.
Any advice/ ideas welcome.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437