Re: VHF Cable Replacement

Scott SV Tengah

Tom, I just got PL-259 connectors.

PL-259 to connect to the antenna - RG8x in between -  PL-259 to connect to the VHF.

I didn't hear great things about the screw on PL259 connectors, so I got the solder type. Get a few as you may screw up during your learning process. It's not difficult but you want to do it right. After I screwed on the PL-259 at the antenna, you will want to waterproof it.

The original Amel setup includes a junction at the base of the mast, inside the boat. That way, you can easily disconnect the coax if you want to remove your mast. I skipped that and if I need to remove my mast, I can cut the coax and add the junction later. For now, I avoid a junction and two more PL259 connectors.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 4:50 PM Thomas Peacock <peacock8491@...> wrote:
Hi Scott,

I have a SM and am replacing the VHF antenna. I bought a 5215, no cable. Can you give me specific info on what adapter you used? Does the adapter than hook up to RG-8X at the top? Or does the adapter come with sealed RG-8X that runs down to the base of the mast? I’m mostly concerned about minimizing connections at the top of the mast.

Thanks,
Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

On Dec 13, 2020, at 12:44 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

I did the same. New RG-8X from new Shakespeare antenna all the way to the nav station. The original Amel way is to have a junction at the base of the mast, presumably so you can remove the mast without having to take out the antenna wire. If I ever need to remove the mast, I'll cut the coax and put the junction on.  Earlier I couldn't communicate with the admiral in a dinghy 300 meters away and now we can hear USCG broadcasts up to 200nm offshore.

Connection at the antenna was taped with self-amalgamating rubber tape and then covered with 3M electrical tape. I even zip tied the electrical tape for good measure.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

--