Re: Electronic technician to Repair Onan PCBs

Ryan,

No, none of the above.

In about 2006, I met a Dutch or German guy in Cartegena, Colombia who repaired things like this without knowing anything about its functionality. Maybe he was one in a million. He repaired a sat phone for me replacing a capacitor and another part in the power supply and a resistor and something else in the transmitter. I did not have an account for the sat phone, so he could not test it with a connection, but said it was transmitting and should connect with an account. He was correct. He had never worked on a sat phone before. He typically worked on old TVs for the locals and for sailors visiting there he repaired radars, GPS, Radios, and other navigation items. He refused to work on computers even though he said he could repair almost any electronic issue. I think I know why he refused to repair computers. It was the dinosaur effect.

Obviously, my search for somebody like this is the last resort.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:04 AM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:
Hi Bill,

This seems like a tall order.  If one is handed a random board without any specifications nor way to power it on, figuring out how it is supposed to work and then figuring out why it isn't is very difficult, bordering on impossible for complex boards.  Do you have any documentation from technicians who have effected the repairs in the past?  Any schematics or part lists?  Are there perhaps one or two common failures that can be quickly checked for?  I have the skills and equipment to rework the boards, and I would consider taking a stab at it if we can find the necessary info.

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 9:45 AM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Wanted for all Amel Owners: Board-level PCB electronics technician to diagnose and repair Onan Printed Circuit Board, Control (PCB). As some of you know, the company that designed and manufactured Onan Electronic Control Boards has closed permanently due to COVID. There are many different models of this PCB, sometimes different PCBs within the same model numbers. These PCBs do not last forever. Do you know someone and can share contact information?

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

Attachments: