Re: Depth Sounder Replacement in a SM 2000

Peter de Groot

Greetings all,
While cruising Mexico’s Pacific coast this year I had the Garmin Pan optic PS-51 forward sonar start to behave irregularly and ultimately overheat and fail. Garmin replaced it on warranty but I spent several weeks anchoring about in different bays with no depth readings available at the helm. My take-away from this experience is to have a back up available whether it be an on-board spare replacement transducer, or a complete functioning back up system.

BTW: a toilet plunger with a diver underneath worked great for minimizing the water entry when we exchanged the transducer.

Peter de Groot
La Querida SM207
Barra de Navidad, Mexico