Re: Rudder Stuffing Box Packing Material

Patrick McAneny

This is the proverbial question whether to fix something that is not broke. I have owned my boat for at least 15 years and have never replaced the packing , never even tightened down the nut , I also have never had a leak. I just had Maud send me new packing ,I have the quadrant and nut off . Now I am having a second thought about messing with it as it has never leaked a drop. Sure enough ,with my luck if I repack it, I will probably have a leak . Do you cut the ends on a 45 degree angle so to overlap or just cut the ends square.
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123
PS. Is this secret place just on 54s or SMs as well, or is this just an urban myth ,designed to drive people nuts as they tear out their interiors ?

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Apr 1, 2021 2:33 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Rudder Stuffing Box Packing Material

Stephan,

My thoughts:

Generally, when the packing begins to leak it is because the nut needs to further compress the packing, and/or the packing has been compressed several times by tightening the nut and requires replacing because there is no compression flexibility left in the packing material.

And generally, water will leak through this packing when the boat is moving bow to stern while sailing. The more the stern moves up and down when sailing, the higher the water pressure is on the packing.

The top of the rudder post gland is normally above the waterline, but I have seen at least one SM so overloaded at the stern that it was likely close to the waterline.

Leaving her in a marina for 6 months with packing that needs replacing is probably a low-risk issue, mitigated to almost no-risk with someone checking on her.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 12:54 PM Stephan Regulinski via groups.io <stephreg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul, et al.,

Great thread! And very timely: I just found 8 ozs of water in area next to rudder post.  We are just about to depart Panama for the US. What to do?

1. Leave repair until I return in six (ish) months, which gives me time to get a Palmetto tool, sched 80 plastic pipe, packing material, etc.; or,

2. Stop press, change flight dates and do repair now using locally sourced materials and tools.

S/V Hanalei is vintage 1999, so the stuffing material will be old. When we depart, she will be in a marina under watchful eye of experienced mechanic, and boat caretaker.

Has anyone had success with tightening the packing nut on old packing material?

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

Stephan G. Regulinski 
S/V Hanalei SM #266

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.