From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of eric freedman
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2021 6:40 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Jordan series drogue.

Hi Brent,

Retrieving it really depends on the motion of the boat.

I had my bridles made with a large eye spliced into the end of each one. When I had Kimberlite built, I had Amel super reinforce the stern cleats. First tie a line on one if the bridles and when it becomes loose bring the line and bridle around the backstays and on to the other side of   the boat.

Then tie a big strong line to the eye that is still connected.

A few times the boat was rolling beam to beam. I just put a few turns of the added line around my primary winch and then when the boat rolled, I just pulled the line in and waited for Kimberlite to roll to the other side. On each roll I pulled in about 8 feet of line.

I forgot to mention that you have to make a rounded block of wood that will bolt through the stern cleat. Just anything that will prevent the drogue from getting stuck on the stern cleat and rip the parachutes.

It doesn’t have to be fancy.

Most of the time Kimberlite does not roll.

Again, bring one of the bridles over to the other side.

Now you will need 2 or 3 people for the next step.

If you have a third person, they will guide the drogue on board-nice touch but not imperative.

You will need 2 people on the primary winch. One to tail it by hand as the drogue lines are too thick for the

self-tailer . Secondly you must be careful not to rip the parachutes on the taling horn.

One person must press the winch switch while the other tails the line.

The winch is strong enough to bring in the drogue in 50 knots of wind.

However, if you try to continuously use the winch, it will overheat and shut off. You will then have to let the motor cool off for a few minutes before it resets and works.  My suggestion is to tail for a minute or so and then let it cool off for a minute or so.

That works best for me.

I have sailed single handed in 50 knots of wind from near Bermuda to New York.

However, that was silly of me. I should have put out the drogue.

That is where I now draw the line if I am expecting an extended blow.

Below is an article about us in a hurricane 36 hours – 60 foot seas wind 100 knots.

https://www.oceannavigator.com/prepare-for-survival-conditions/

Dave Pelissier of Ace sailmakers in Connecticut worked with Mr. Jordan and together they developed the drogue.
I would only get one from him if it is possible.

25 years ago, we were in near hurricane force winds . We were told by Herb Hilgenberg not to travel further North as the winds were horrific further North.

I was in my Tartan 37 at that time.

We were on the drogue overnight. The wind died down to 40 knots and my Tartan was literally rolling beam to beam on the drogue. I called Dave at Ace sailmakers and asked why this was happening, he didn’t know but he said call Mr. Jordan,  He gave me the number and I called him. I could hear by his voice he was quite old. After listening to me he said,  “ I know what the problem is – NOT ENOUGH WIND !!”

We brought in the drogue and sailed up to Bermuda.

Not Enough Wind- one of my favorite stories.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376