Re: cover up holes of instruments

Mark Erdos

Hi Matt,

Sourcing the wood is not difficult. African Mahogany is used in furniture building and by wood hobbyists. There are online stores such as https://www.woodworkerssource.com/ or retail outlets like https://www.woodcraft.com/

I had difficulty finding it in the thickness I wanted. Since I do not own a planer, I wanted it to be as close as possible to the desired thickness: 3/8” or 10mm. I found that most of the managers at the wood hobby shops are die-hard woodworkers. For a small fee, one offered to plane the plank I purchased to the thickness.

For the coloring, it is trial and error. If you mess up, no big deal, give it a good sand and try again. Best to have a couple of waste pieces to get the technique down. Here are the products I used:

You will need to feather the stain. Add dark streaks first (red mahogany) to match the Amel grain, and wipe away excess quickly. Then, use a gold or pecan to bring out the lighter side. Blend stains if needed.  Finish with semi-gloss polyurethane.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us