Re: Fuel Bladders

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Everyone will have different reasons for carrying so much fuel, and of course, this could be very different now due to some exceptional COVID related issues (for example, a close friend of ours recently had to sail directly across the Pacific all the way from Panama to Bundaberg, Australia) ....but for those just setting off and/or preparing to circumnavigate in an Amel SM, 54 or 55, rest assured that you will mostly find that with both your generous main tank fuel capacity, plus say 9 x 23L jerry cans (in our case all in the life-raft locker of the SM), you should have much more fuel than you would need for all the longest legs, even with many mild to windless days, and even with the occasional need potentially to run for many hours at very high revs to get away from the odd suspect pirate "fishing" boats who may try to catch you in certain areas.

We circumnavigated on an Amel SM2000 with the above setup between 2017 and 2020, always with plenty of fuel leftover even on all the longest stretches, with many days of zero to 10kts of wind in the South Atlantic and Pacific, plus in the North Indian Ocean (Thailand to the Maldives leg).

Colin Streeter
ex SM2K Island Pearl II
Brisbane, Australia

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 3:48 AM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

I ask this more out of curiosity than anything else. What are people opinions of fuel bladders for excess diesel on longer passages?

I have seen some conversations where owners have bladders atop the aft cabin and lashed to the hand rails. To me, this seems like it would be a lot of weight in the wrong place. How does the fuel not cause a greater angle of heel and, the bigger question,  are the hand-hold railings strong enough to hold the weight of potentially shifting diesel (0.832kg/litre)?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445