Re: Fuel Bladders

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Hi Eric

Yes, indeed your fixed tank idea is a far better idea, and I was aware of it from you before we set off around the world but too late for us to have enough time to get this done before leaving.

With our system, we always emptied the cans from the liferaft locker immediately as soon as we had created enough space in the main tank and whenever we had suitably calm conditions to do so to ensure the best possible stability. This was never a problem and we became quite skilled at doing so without spilling even a drop of fuel ... however ... of course, a nice easy electric pump system from your fixed tanks would be so much nicer to have.

The one possible advantage of our jerry can system (for us) though was that we very seldom ever trusted filling up directly from the fuel stations into our main tank during our circumnavigation as we always filtered all fuel first, unless in some French or UK territories, and so mostly did so via jerry cans anyway. Certainly, most of our fuel was sourced from normal "on-land" motor vehicle fuel stations via Jerry Can and Dinghy travel and so we would still have needed to store 10 empty cans somewhere anyway with your system.

Colin Streeter
ex SM2K - Island Pearl II
Brisbane

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 8:31 PM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Colin,

Instead of dealing with 9 jerry cans , why not have a pair of tanks fitted to the locker as we have done .

We use an electric pump to empty the tanks. That is much easier than having to deal with a jerry can in rolling sea. The reason I had 2 tanks fitted is that

you cannot fit one big 80-gallon tank through the hatch. Also, each tank is separate. In case of a major leak or contamination you will still have 80 gallons of good fuel.

Fair Winds,

Eric

Sm 376 Kimberlite

--