Re: Sea Chest

Sv Garulfo

hi Mark,

Can you expand on that idea? I don’t really see where that valve would be?

Bill,
What do you think of a hose out of the Vetus lid, up over the water line and outputting in the cockpit drain (which is very nearby on the A54), with a one way valve to let accumulated air out into the cockpit drain but preventing any suction of air through there?
Raw water consumers would pump sea water through the chest and strainer and any accumulated air (up to the waterline) would rejoin the atmosphere by simple gravity.
Arguably, the rolling motion of the boat would continuously fill that one-way hose with sea water until it overflows in the drain. Also, removing the vetus lid for maintenance of he sea chest would be messier, having to deal with the water left in the hose. Maybe a Gardena type adapter to easily remove the hose from the lid even if it’s full. The same fitting could be used to feed the system fresh water for wintering like Arno did.

Any views ?

Thanks

Fair winds

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Huahine, French Polynesia

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 at 11:28, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

The most effective way I have found to prevent air accumulation in the strainer it to install a one-way flow valve between the strainer and the sea-chest.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us