Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021, 10:48 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

I have a one-way flap valve between the manifold and the sea-chest/strainer. It is not possible for water to easily flow backward toward the sea-chest even if the engine or genset pulls water faster than the strainer can provide (if dirty). This ensures my pumps for AC, water makers and heads remain primed and I get no air in the sea-chest. The original was brass and I upgraded to stainless when I rebuilt the manifold.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Friday, April 9, 2021 2:40 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Sea Chest

That would certainly suck air into the strainer because the suction from various pumps would overcome a one-way valve. All of the one-way valves I am familiar with for water do not work well for air.

I am not sure what Mark is talking about because the sea chest contains the strainer.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 6:19 PM Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:

hi Mark,

Can you expand on that idea? I don’t really see where that valve would be?

Bill, 

What do you think of a hose out of the Vetus lid, up over the water line and outputting in the cockpit drain (which is very nearby on the A54), with a one way valve to let accumulated air out into the cockpit drain but preventing any suction of air through there? 

Raw water consumers would pump sea water through the chest and strainer and any accumulated air (up to the waterline) would rejoin the atmosphere by simple gravity. 

Arguably, the rolling motion of the boat would continuously fill that one-way hose with sea water until it overflows in the drain. Also, removing the vetus lid for maintenance of he sea chest would be messier, having to deal with the water left in the hose. Maybe a Gardena type adapter to easily remove the hose from the lid even if it’s full. The same fitting could be used to feed the system fresh water for wintering like Arno did.

Any views ?

Thanks

Fair winds

Thomas

GARULFO 

A54-122

Huahine, French Polynesia 

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 at 11:28, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

The most effective way I have found to prevent air accumulation in the strainer it to install a one-way flow valve between the strainer and the sea-chest.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.