Re: ACMO v Kos Hama X rigging wire

Paul,

ACMO uses German wire and makes their own fittings, turnbuckles, etc. They make swage or mechanical fittings. They offer chrome-plated bronze turnbuckles or stainless steel turnbuckles with a bronze insert.

The primary reasons that ACMO should be considered the best supplier to Amel owners are:
  1. ACMO is the original supplier to Amel and has made standing rigging for Amel for at least the past 40 years
  2. ACMO has the exact measurements and specifications from Amel
  3. As Amel changes those specifications as they did twice for the Amel 54, ACMO is advised by Amel.
I am aware of at least 2 Amels that were re-rigged with something other than ACMO, where neither the rigger nor the owner was aware of Amel's updated changes to rigging wire size. If the owners had used ACMO, they would not had to change the newly installed rigging at their expense.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 11:00 AM Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:
Hello!
There s a claim that ACMO rigging wire are superior to other rigging wire, in what way is it superior? A common rigging wire is Hama X by Kos ( one of the largest wire producers )
Both Kos and ACMO are in 316 steel
Kos min breaking strength is for 10 mm wire 8400 kg
Acmo min breaking strength for 10 mm is 7900 kg ca 6% less.
Concerning stretch I have not found any info, but assume stretch rather linear to braking strength
Paul on SY Kerpa AM#259, Lagos Portugal