Re: ACMO v Kos Hama X rigging wire

Bill Kinney

Paul,

If both parties are talking 316 stainless steel, and are using the defined international standards for that alloy, there should be NO difference in breaking strength. The tensile strength of the wire is fixed by the alloy composition, and its construction.  It is possible that ACMO uses 316L stainless, that DOES have a lower breaking strength.  316L has lower carbon, which makes welds easier to make corrosion free.  This obviously has little benefit to rigging wire.

As far as corrosion resistance for the ACMO wire, I have to say I have not seen it to be obviously superior.  I have seen several boats with recently installed ACMO rigs, and all were showing significant "rouging" of the wire within a year of installation.  Light, rust colored stains.  Not really of any consequence to the ultimate strength or lifespan of the wire, but not something that I would describe as "superior" to other wire rope suppliers I have seen.  ACMO dismissed the concerns of some of these owners as dirt sticking to grease left over from the manufacturing proccss, but that was clearly NOT the case.  I will emphasize  that there is NOTHING wrong with ACMO rigging, it's just not "clearly superior" to others a priori.

As far as I know, the dimensions of the Super Maramu wires have never changed.  The rig on the 54 HAS gone through a at least on iteration.  I wouldn't count on any rigger to keep up with that.  It's an owner's job.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, FL, USA