Re: ACMO v Kos Hama X rigging wire

I said the benefits of ordering from ACMO are:
1.) ACMO is the OEM provider to Amel for rigging and has been for over 40 years.
2.) ACMO is up-to-date with Amel specs.
3.)ACMO is a designated Preferred Vendor to my Yacht School clients and I believe about 50 of my clients have purchased rigging kits from ACMO.
4.) Two of the three riggers I will recommend worldwide buy ACMO rigging material.
The most important benefits are 1 & 2 above. ACMO has the exact specifications in terms of size and length that are needed, in most cases, to properly rig an Amel. With many Maramus, Santorins, and some Super Maramus an owner is the 5th owner to own the boat and the 2nd owner to re-rig it. Ensuring accuracy and including needed updates (as in the case of the 54) are important and some 54 owners have discovered that their non-ACMO re-rig wasn't done with the most recent Amel specs. The A-54 rigging updates were made during the production of the 54. I doubt that Amel will make any rigging update after they cease production of a model and as far as I know that has never happened.

I also previously wrote, "All of the above said, you should buy from the supplier you feel is best for you. It is possible that the company you choose will be as good or better than ACMO."

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 8:51 PM Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
Laurens,

There is no easy answer to "how long" for rigging.  The problem is that stainless steel can fail in ways that give absolutely no visual warning.  It can look perfect--right up until the rig fails. The idea that a visual inspection can "certify" a rig as good is just a total falsehood.  Certainly there ARE issues a visual inspection can find, but there are many more it can not.

Failures occur with increasing frequency with age, so there is no magic cutoff.  The "generally accepted" practice for rigging used in tropical salt water is a life span of 15 years.  Warmer, saltier, water (like the Gulf of Mexico or the Med) gives a shorter life.  Colder, fresher, water allows a longer lifespan.  Rig tuning, and the amount of sailing and the kind of sailing also factor in, but all in a very unquantifiable way.  We replaced our rig after 14 years, not because there was any indication of failure, but the consequences of failure are just too high.

I would specifically ask for BRONZE turnbuckles.  Chrome plated, if you prefer the shiny look.  They are just as strong as stainless, less susceptible to crevice corrosion, and most importantly, far less likely to "gall" and lock the threads with the stainless studs.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, FL, USA