Re: Boom Outhaul

Randall,

1. Outhaul Motors Gearbox A54:
I think there are a total of 3 versions of the A54 outhaul and I have no idea the hull number introduction and cut-off dates for each. The first 54s had an identical Leroy Somer outhaul like the SM. This was later changed to a motor and gearbox that was covered and then changed to a totally different motor. To further complicate helping you, at some point, Amel added thermo-switches to the circuitry of the A54 outhaul and furler motors/

1st Version (Same as a SM):
image.png
2nd Version (same as above but an on-boom cover added)
image.png

3rd Version - without cover & with cover:
image.png
image.png

2: Thermo-switches (Possibly your Issue):

image.png
image.png
The 54 has additional overheating protection added (above right - green circle), but in an emergency, can be overridden. This compartment is in the Port Forward Berth on the 54. It is behind a panel secured by Velcro and possibly an additional screw. You can locate it by listening to the clicking sound while operating the main furler and/or outhaul.

I hope this helps you sort things out.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 12:26 PM Randall Walker <sailingalbedo@...> wrote:
Hello All,

I have just completed a Solo Sail from Gibraltar to Grenada. My first Solo.
Departed 7 March arrived 10 April 3930 nm there is a few extra miles due to fussy wind and just going with the flow at night. What stopped working a few things but I will only ask today about the boom outhaul, it stopped after week number 2 so for the most part I left it out about a third and made use of the mizzen and Genoa.
What is happening? mast furler works fine. when I push in or out on the BH (boom haulout) I hear a loud click at the breaker but the motor doesn't turn. So I believe up to the motor I'm OK.
I arrived on the night of the 10th all is well I decide to just sail through the night at a slow pace and enter in the morning. I awoke just before sunup to find I need to let out some more headsail. But something looks odd the bottom of the sail has sripes. So I go out to look, it is still dark and I think why is there so much polution coming from the island? Then I look at my hands and there covered in soot. I didn't think of the volcano. When I finnaly anchored I heard the news.
They have been busy down here running suppies up and people down this way.
I am glad to hear that it is messy and dirty but all are OK.

So in another quest for knowlege about other things I need to learn.
I will get back to you.

Randall
A54#56
S/V ALBEDO