Re: Volvo D3

Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer

Hi Courtney and Porter,

don't worry, the D3-110 is just a modern diesel engine as installed in millions of cars. Sure, at sea we don't need superfluous computers and high tech when it can be done simply. Here, however, the regulations set the framework.
Our engine from the series "C" has over 16oo hours without failure. but we once had a defective boost pressure sensor like you, but could not identify the error codes in the EVC display. To do this, a first Volvo technician had to come with a special Vodia tester (only at Volvo), then the fault was clear after 5 seconds. Stupid only that not at each corner a Volvo service waits. I don't know if it is a smart idea to get such a tester, and all the sensors that are installed in the engine, as well as a spare? The sensor was not in stock at the importer in Greece and had to be ordered in Sweden. It took more than 2 weeks. Since then, our machine runs perfectly. It is important that the intercooler and heat exchanger is completely cleaned regularly. We did this last year, both were 80% clogged with scale and debris. After an acid bath and new seals, everything is now like new again. We do not need to talk about regular oil changes and impeller replacement. Volvo has told me that the machine has remained basically the same over the years, there were only adjustments to the auxiliary units. We still have a good feeling with our machine like many other 54's. so no worries.

Be happy with your engine as your best friend and take good care of it. You should love it like your sails, mate.

Best wishes and stay safe!

Ulrich
„Soleil Bleu“ / A54#088
<>

Cheers Porter glad to hear life is good
👍🏻😁
Courtney
Trippin
54#101

On Apr 21, 2021, at 5:41 PM, Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

Paul.
I’d be happy to speak to you off line if you wish.

In short we bought a 54. The furlers were a problem and we changed them, and the VD3-110 died. We replaced the engine.   Would I buy the boat again?  Absolutely yes. It’s an amazing machine. Even with the original furlers, knowing what I now know, I might not have needed to change them. Re the engine I agree with Bill R completely. Now we have a D3-110 “H” model. Like Teun. Great engine. But as the D3-“C”motor ages, it proves its genetics: sound or faulty. Ours died a relatively early death.

The A54 is wonderful. Amazing actually. We’re about 24k NM into our love affair. Heading to Fiji soon for another 2k. We’ve been on all sorts of other boats, cool in their own ways. 55s, 64s Gunboats, leopards, everything. I’ve not been tempted to have another boat. I’d have either a SM or a 54 all over again. ( I do have a slight weakness for a Farr 60 pilot house). Or the new Amel 50, if I was around a lot of orcas. 😄.

Don’t be turned away. These boats are simply incredibly designed. The culmination of decades of nautical head scratching and millions of miles. Built to be single handed by a blind guy in the worst conditions. Wife and kid approved and loved as well.  Get one!

Best of luck.

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152

On Apr 21, 2021, at 4:48 AM, Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Paul,

I replaced the VOLVO D3 110iC in 2018 with the VOLVO D3 110iH

Pls contact me directly ( teun@... ) and I will explain.

Best Regards Teun
April 21, 2021 07:48:28