From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of michael winand via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2021 8:20 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] problems Engine #alignment

Thanks Eric,

Great information.

I don't have a shaft break, or shaft alternator,  a little simpler.

So the alignment is still adjusting with feeler gauges? Or dial indicator on the two axis?

I would be concerned about the removal of the tool and reconnecting the coupling without it being checked again.

Michael Nebo sm251

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 at 1:00 am, eric freedman

Hi Michael,again

Some of the following might not apply if you do not have a disk brake.

The alignment is straight forward but slightly complicated.

The engine must be disconnected from the C drive and coupling.

The engine is then lifted, and the alignment tool is installed. The engine is dropped down and using the alignment tool and adjusting the engine mount adjustments the engine is aligned.

The engine is then lifted, and the tool is removed.

It is then dropped down and reassembled. You will need to make bolts from threaded rod to hold the coupling to the disk brake. The aluminum coupling in the photo that you received is one that I had made.

Attached is a few pages from Bill Rouse’s book which he translated from another members work.

The engine mounts you have might be different as you might have a Volvo and not a Yanmar engine.

The entire process takes about 6 hours, I just put a new engine in Kimberlite and start to finish it took me 4 ½ hours as I had replaced the engine mounts and donuts previously and I was familiar with the process.

The replacement of the donuts does not require removing the engine if it is just the donuts. You can just disconnect the engine , push it aft and replace the donuts and put the engine . However, if it were me I would do the entire process.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376