Re: Volvo D3

Scott SV Tengah

Original D3-110C here with around 2600hours and I'm generally pretty happy with it. It's a very efficient engine so there are not only environmental benefits but the fuel consumption is phenomenally low for such a big boat.

I had a persistent problem with the "emergency stop switch" that is mounted on the starboard side of the engine. It's a non-sealed unit that is in the airflow path of the intake fan. I'm not the only one who has this problem. It's a small, but quite consequential problem. Easy to remedy, however.

When I was first looking, there was an HR48 that had major problems with their Volvo and it came down to fuel problems. We met another HR with the D3-110C in Panama that had to drop out of World ARC because of fuel related problems. I believe they're still stuck there a year later. Traumatized by those accounts, I now religiously filter, using a Baja Filter, every single drop that goes into my tank. Then I add biocide as a tank lasts us a year on average.

For current D3 owners: The MAP / boost pressure sensor that is in the after cooler is easy to find. The first thing you shouldn't do is ask your Volvo Penta dealer, unless you like overpaying for that green paint. As some mentioned, this is the same engine in many Volvo cars, therefore the sensor is the same Bosch sensor, verified by the actual part number on the actual part. I paid $25 USD for mine vs. the $180 that the VP dealer wanted. You can pick it up at any auto parts store. It's made by Bosch, so I wouldn't even go to a Volvo car dealer as I'm sure they mark it up, too. I have used our replacement for a few hundred hours now with no problems. At that price, get a few of them.

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/31355463-MFG14.aspx

Further, you can read many of the error codes using a procedure outlined by the Electrical section of the Shop Manual, posted elsewhere on this forum. No need for VODIA. That's how we, at anchor, determined the problem was the boost pressure sensor.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69